Dental implants are a popular and effective solution for replacing missing teeth. We know losing a tooth can feel like the end of the world, but dental implants really can help turn that frown upside down!
So what actually is a Dental Implant?
A dental implant is a titanium screw which is placed inside the jaw bone. The dental implant acts as artificial tooth roots – replacing the one (or one’s) you’ve lost. Once it’s safely inside your jaw, the bone surrounding your implant will begin to fuse to it, keeping it firmly in place – clever body huh?
The dental implant then supports a replacement tooth, bridge or denture. It gets placed on top of the dental implant and that’s what fills the gap leaving you with a fixed solution and a beautiful looking smile.
Why Dental Implants?
You might have heard your dentist say before that an implant is the gold standard for tooth replacement and in lots of cases, it is. They can be a higher financial outlay in the beginning, but they are the gift that keeps on giving! Here’s a couple of reasons (six, but we could have kept going) you might consider replacing your missing teeth with an implant.
- Durability: Dental implants are designed to be long-lasting and durable, often lasting a lifetime with proper care and don’t worry, we’ll teach you how to keep your oral health tip-top!
- Natural appearance: Implants look and feel like natural teeth, providing a seamless smile and can be the corner stone of a successful smile makeover that could last a lifetime.
- Improved oral health: Unlike other tooth replacement options, such as dentures or bridges, dental implants don’t require altering adjacent teeth for support, which helps preserve your overall oral health. Don’t mind us, just waving the flag for ‘au naturel’.
- Enhanced chewing ability: With dental implants, you can enjoy eating your favourite foods without any discomfort or restrictions. Life is in the eating, or something like that.
- Bone preservation: When a tooth is lost, the underlying jawbone can start to deteriorate over time due to lack of stimulation from the missing root. Dental implants help stimulate bone growth and prevent bone loss which is very handy in age-defying qualities. In our opinion the best kept anti-aging secret? Good oral health, natural teeth and when they are no longer an option – Implants.
- Confidence boost: Having a complete smile can significantly improve self-confidence and overall quality of life. Being able to smile without a second thought is why we do what we do. The world needs your smile!
Can I have Sedation while you fit my dental implant?
YES OF COURSE! Sedation is subject to suitability so if our dental sedationist Aly gives you the green light at your sedation assessment, she can help you drift off while AJ does the dentistry.
Will I be suitable for implants?
While dental implant procedures have high success rates, they may not be suitable for everyone due to certain medical conditions or insufficient bone density where the implant needs to be placed.
After a consultation with AJ you’ll have a good idea if dental implants are the right treatment for you. Following your consultation we’ll send you for a type of x-ray that let’s us check if the bone density says YAY or NAY! Rest assured, if for some reason dental implants won’t work for you as an individual we have lots of other options to get you smiling again.
If you’re considering getting dental implants or have any specific questions related to your situation, we recommend scheduling an appointment with your dentist who can evaluate your needs and provide personalised advice based on your oral health history and then refer you to the Implantologist – you can book one here! or call us on 01722 413513 to chat to one of our lovely Salisbury team.
Keep smiling, THE dentist Salisbury.